Bernama, 8.3 March 8 (Bernama) — The Governor of Bavet city Chhouk Bundit, who is suspected of being involved in shooting three garment workers last month, was removed from his position to make way for the court to look into the case.
“Prime Minister Hun Sen signed a letter on Monday to remove him (Chhouk Bundit) from the post to enable the court to carry out investigations into the case,” Svay Rieng province deputy governor Svay Rieng told Xinhua news agency Thursday.
On March 5, the Svay Rieng Provincial Court issued a letter to summon Chhouk Bundit for questioning for his role in the alleged shooting of three garment workers on February 20.
Chhouk Bundit’s whereabouts is unknown at present.The shooting incident took place at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone (SEZ) situated in Svay Rieng province’s Bavet city, where some 3,000 workers from three factories — Kingmaker Footwear, Kaoway Sports and Sheico — were staging a protest seeking salary increase.
The three victims were 21-year-old Buot Chenda, who was shot on the chest, and Keo Nea and Nuth Sakhorn, who incurred only slight injuries.
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on March 1 that Chhouk Bundit was ‘the only suspect’ in the shooting.